Saturday 9 July 2016

Rain stops play in the garden, so must do the blog!

The recent television program THE SEWING BEE has 
revived an interest for sew many of us.(pardon the  pun)
In the 50's and 60's when you needed a new set of 
clothes ,the only way for my family was to get mum
 to make them. When I look at old photos I always
am reminded that we kids were miniature adults.
The boys short trousers were cut from their dads, and 
even the sports jackets were remodeled. Girls dresses
were on the same lines as their mums. Probably as 
money was short ,when I went to 'high school' we
had to make our own summer dresses and skirts.
Then we had more affordable clothes shops and 
the trend of dress making died.Now it has revived
and many people are sewing for pleasure not necessity.
A really welcome hobby, time to dust off those skills and 
have fun!!!!
Marion brought 2 quilts to sew, this is one of them,
it's for W.I.They are having a craft table at an event.
the bears and the dishes on the shelves along with
the apples have all been quilted. 


The black top was made by Val the other week. when I didn't get
many pics. The tops  are modeled by Cathy who wants to
use the pattern to make one her self.

This is another of the Charlie bags, made by Jenny. We get
quite a production line going for the lovely bags. Filled
with goodies, a really welcome gift.

Annie pie's quilt is almost finished just a few stitches on
the binding. It may have taken a while but just by wanting
to complete this quilt means that she pops in to see us.
Not always a full day, but she is so welcome.

Margaret has layered her quilt, this fabric is so  striking,
all she has to do is quilt it now, looking forward to
seeing it finished, Annette also made the same one
a few weeks ago.

Another one of Beryl's scrap quilts, it always amazes me
how many scraps we create when sewing. Gone are the days
 when we would finish an item and throw the scraps away.
When I first started it took so long for me to finish a quilt
I would be fed up with the fabric and bin the remainder,
until I was told that "you pay the same for the scraps as the
rest of the fabric"

This is my latest effort,(along with another baby quilt in
progress and 2 crochet bolero's for baby's holiday) I wanted
this top for over a silky dress without sleeves.


1 comment:

  1. Great Post. I have not been visiting the site recently. Took a visit again and there were some great comments on the site. Excellent post. Keep up the good work. seo services jalandhar

    ReplyDelete